Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Finishing Up

So- it's been a strange few days.
It's presentations.  We're staying in a world class resort in Malindi where we have to do things like use utensils, speak English consistently, and act entirely different culturally than we're used to.  Note- the resort might not actually be world class but it sure is the nicest one that I've ever stayed in.  It has three pools, a beach, and awesome snorkeling (which we did today) not too far away. 

We finished our presentations today.  It was nice reviewing what everyone learned during their ISPs and a lot of how everyone had similar experiences.  I feel like I've become much more reflective during my time here- which is bizarre, but probably a good growth experience.  Hopefully I can keep it up.

Today my director said something amazing- "Getting to Nairobi is like getting to heaven.  It's very difficult."  He was talking about traffic- but after all this time here and knowing that "getting to Nairobi" means leaving this place after almost four months with a lot of very different perspectives and goals than I arrived with- it feels like he was describing my total time in Kenya.  Funny how that works.

I don't know that I've really posted sufficiently about my work with the spina bifida and hydrocephalus group that I worked with.  Prepare for some of that and some old, prewritten posts sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment